February 28, 2010

Mole Enchiladas

So I don't really follow recipes very often. The way I cook is usually taking something edible and making it better. Last night I made chicken mole. I had the intention of also making vegetarian mole, but my vegetarian friends didn't come over and my potatoes grew small trees out of themselves. Maybe next time.



Ingredients:

1 jar of Dona Maria Mole
1 pound of chicken (I used breast meat)
1 quart of vegetable broth, chicken broth (optional, water is also okay. I used half water, half vegetable broth)
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup of feta cheese
12-16 corn tortillas
salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
1 table spoon of bacon fat or lard (optional)
1 table spoon of brown sugar (optional, if you like your mole a little sweeter)

Boil chicken until done. Shred by hand or with a food processor and set aside.

Empty contents of jar into sauce pan and add broth or water. Place on low heat and stir constantly until all the mole is dissolved (this takes about fifteen to twenty minutes). When it's finished dissolving, set aside two cups for topping the enchiladas. Add the shredded chicken, butter, bacon fat (optional), brown sugar, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to remaining mole sauce. Stir until butter and bacon fat dissolve.

Heat up the corn tortillas using your preferred method. I used a large non-stick pan placing them on a plate in the oven to keep them warm.

To serve, place the tortillas flat on a plate, filling with chicken/mole sauce and feta cheese. Roll them over and top with plain mole and feta cheese.

I served vegetarian refried beans and salsa as a side (I wish I would have made rice too).

I was born on September 16, Mexico's independence day, so I have a soft spot for all kinds of Mexican food (it helps to live here), and this is a pretty authentic taste. American food doesn't really do spicy chocolate goodness like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know what you think, so leave us a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...