March 9, 2010

In Which I Show You With What I'm Working




This is an experiment:

So I wanted to make bean and cheese burritos but I don't have regular cheese and I have most of the other ingredients. I also have things I need to use before they go bad. I have some non-fat cream cheese that I bought in December and I thought it would be bad by now, but it turns out it's good for six months. The only other cheese I have is sprinkle parmesan cheese. So that's what I'm working with.












Bean and Cream Cheese Burritos

Ingredients:

1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 can chili beans (Ranch Style Beans would have been prefered)
2 oz of fat free cream cheese (any cream cheese will work though)
salsa, salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers to taste
(I also added some of the sprinkle cheese, just to see what that was like)
(And I put a slice of processed cheese on top, cause it sounded good)
Enough tortillas


Start by adding all your ingredients into a non-stick pan and turning the pan on low. Which should look like this:















(I know it doesn't look good now, but it'll be ok)

Non-stick because refried beans suck to clean out of a normal pan if it gets even the slight bit hot. Low because we want to melt the cheese while not burning anything. If you've ever tried to melt cream cheese, it's surprisingly hard. Next smash everything together. The chili beans are best if slighty smashed to the same consistency as the refried beans. Then stir and stir until the cheese is melted. Spread the beans on tortillas and roll them up. Top with more beans and salsa. Then some form of cheese if you have it. I microwaved mine to melt the lonely slice of processed cheese. The whole thing took about fifteen minutes.

I think it turned out really good. I got a great texture boost from the cream cheese and it tasted plenty cheesy. The non-fat cream cheese is also a great way to cut calories, only 30 per oz compared to 114 per oz of regular cheddar cheese. I am also proud of the fact that, even if I bought all the ingredients today (not counting the parm), this would have cost about $7.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know what you think, so leave us a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...